Monday, February 27, 2012

Cloth Napkins


My friend asked me to help her out and sew some cloth napkins together. She's wanting to be more green and use less paper products. Great idea huh! I will have to sew up a batch when we move, after I figure out what color our dinning room will be. This is a really easy sewing project, it's just time consuming if you want to sew a bunch. I found that an assembly line was the best way to finish this project. So here is what you need:

Fabric- I used 4.5 yard of my flower material and the same amount in black (she wanted 20 finished napkins) This fabric is from Hobby Lobby
Coordinating Thread
Scissors  
Pinking Shears- Scissors that make a zig zag cut
Iron

The first step is to cut out your fabric. My friend wanted 18 in x 18 in napkins. I cut 18.5 in x 18.5 in; leaving a little left over for seam allowance. After you have your stack of material match two pieces together with right sides facing each other and pin. Then sew around the square leaving an opening around 4 inch wide. 

 Then I cut around each square with my pinking shears. 
 I then turned the napkins right side out and ironed them. After I had all the napkins turned right side out and ironed, I top stitched around them all. 
 Now you have a beautiful dinner napkin, perfect for entertaining! These would also be a great wedding present or house warming gift with initials embroidered on them.


No comments:

Post a Comment